We have found that Beef Stroganoff is a little like meatloaf - everyone has a recipe and they are all different! Here is one for you to use to start your Beef Stroganoff tradition. You will not be disappointed.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 Hours
1 - 2-3 lb. McCalls Ferry Farm Chuck Tender Roast
1 diced onion
1 pkg. of button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. of flour
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup of wine (red or white)
1 - 5.5 oz. can of vegetable juice (V8 or other brand)
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 cup of half & half
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Slice the chuck tender roast into small, thin strips and season with salt and pepper. Sauté on high in large pan with a little olive oil until brown, then remove from pan and set aside.
2. Put a small pad of butter into the pan you just removed the beef from and allow to melt, this also deglazes the pan. Then add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until soft.
3. Once the onions and mushrooms are soft, add the flour and stir until well mixed. This will eventually thicken the broth.
4. Add the beef back to the mixture.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the beef broth, wine and vegetable juice.
6. Add the paprika and parsley and once the mixture is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
7. Test the beef and if tender, you are ready to add in the half and half, stir to combine.
8. Serve over noodles or with potatoes for a wonderfully flavorful dinner.